View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Looking thru discharge instructions today from an E.R. visit a few days ago (post-MG diagnosis), I noticed they had helpfully included a sheet on "Globus Hystericus: a common problem found most often in young women. It is a feeling as though something is caught in your throat. Anxiety, depression & stress are all thought to play roles in this feeling. Usually there is nothing physically wrong.... Sometimes anti-anxiety medications may be prescribed."

That was my 4th experience with doctors diagnosing me as a hypochondriac or anxiety-ridden. Given I'd had the MG diagnosis shortly before this last ER visit, I would have assumed the doctor would attempt to identify whether the sensation of throat closing & palpable popping might be connected to the MG. No go. Apparently, I'm still viewed as (an) overly anxious (female). My recourse, I've contacted the hospitals to report the misdiagnoses (despite laundry list of symptoms being presented) and asked that they train staff on myasthenia gravis to recognize symptoms. I don't want to show up in their E.R. in crisis and be killed by staff ignorant of how to treat it. My noisiness may not do any good but it makes me feel more empowered & less helpless.

I cannot comprehend how a person can stay strong through so many years of being misdiagnosed as having an anxious personality. I've only had to put up with it for 2 months & it feels unbearable. You people are STRONG!!!
seishin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (01-18-2013), wild_cat (01-17-2013)