View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cipro PN Can Heal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Hi Jesse M.
I consider myself with severe neuropathy, hands and especially feet and lower legs.
For the past 10 years or so, I've had to take Cipro for problems related to diverticulitus. At least 3 times, maybe 4.
Can you give me more information on the Cipro "Floxed" condition?
Thanks!
Mike
To Mike B:

This is a long post, but I hope it helps – I don’t see many others with Cipro PN here. Nearly 3 years ago I had divertculitis and had to take Flagly for that infection. I was told outright not to take any NSAIDS, as they are bad for the stomach. Flagly can often cause PN, too – but I had not taken the full prescription nor did I mix it with any other drugs, so it did not cause my PN.

My PN was indeed, caused by Cipro, which I took about a year or so later. I have since collected a lot of information about Cipro induced Neuropathy, many from actual doctors, who are now well aware that Cipro can cause PN.

It’s the 3rd week of January 2013 and I still have PN (nearly 7 months now). However, the improvements compared to the pains I once had are truly wonderful. Meaning that I have healed about 70 percent in about 7 months. Now, this does not mean I’m not suffering, as I do have painful flare-ups, mostly only lasting for about 7 days or less and this about once a month. But each flare-up has been less painful over the last few months.

Despite being so lucky, I still have serious distress over PN pain issues. I still have mild to light PN pains in my feet, toes, hands and fingers as well as other parts of my body from time to time every day, but most of these are very light. The major pains have all gone. Meaning, I no longer suffer from stabbing pains or severe pains in my body at all.

What’s very different about me and some other people in this forum, is that I believe that many people with PN have, can, and will heal completely from PN. But there is some interpretation as to what you consider “completely” healed. With Cipro caused PN, there have been cases where people have indeed completely healed, some faster than others.

This has to do much about the circumstances and the biology of the person when taking the drug. For example, I’m positive that taking NSAIDS and Clonazapam/Klonapin while taking Cipro greatly increased my chances of getting PN from it. Also every person’s body is different.

Some people have taken 6 weeks worth of Cipro with no reactions, while others got only temporary PN before it faded away. This has to do with how much damage was done to your nerves, as well as how quickly you stopped taking the drug. In turn, healing heavily depends on how well you treat yourself.

I was always a very anxious person and when I got PN I was absolutely devastated. In fact I was truly suicidal. But I did certain things that gave me an advantage despite being in a very bad situation. The first was I stopped taking Cipro when I started feeling the pains – this was still late – 3 -weeks to be exact. (I never took the other 3-week prescription I was ordered) I then started on certain vitamins very quickly, mainly B12 and Vitamin C. Later I got information from this forum and added more vitamins to my regiment, carefully picking out what I felt was best for my personal situation.

What’s also not addressed much is that Cipro has other neurological effects to the brain including anxiety and depression. But honestly there is very positive news about PN induced Cipro, that being it can heal – leastwise it can heal to the point where your pains are reduced to very light ones, even barely notable at times and in this case, although not completely healed, you can live and enjoy life just as much as if you were. I have personally reached that level over the last 2 months, being stable most of the time, only interrupted by flare-up pains every 3 weeks or so. In some cases, people have been completely healed mainly from the fact that their nerves were not damaged too badly to begin with.

Currently, I just had a flare-up that lasted about a full week - lots of pins and needles stings and mild cramping in my hands and fingers and toes. Still, it was nowhere near the pain intensity that I had a couple of months ago. Still, after feeling nearly normal for weeks, getting a relapse of pain can be very scary and very depressing, which in of itself can worsen PN pain. I notice that rainy days that last for over 2 days will often start a week long flare up for me.

Also staying away from beer/alcohol has been a bit of a problem for me during this time. Though never a heavy drinker, I currently drink about 4 to 5 lite beers on a weekend socially. And now never more than a six pack even on celebrations. Oddly this doesn’t seem to affect me much, maybe because I drink at such a slow pace, or I skip a week here and there. But I do NOT recommend this either. When I drink, it’s to relax some and let loose, never to indulge or get drunk. Still, I have to curb this as well.

Cipro is a medication that should NEVER be taken. It is too powerful and affects the body and brain in ways that are still not understood till this day. If you are taking it, I suggest dropping it immediately. All (not some) ALL fluoroquinolone drugs should not be sold period! They are too experimental, even the top pharmaceutical experts agree on this.

Recently I dropped to 0.5 Clonazepam/Klonapin per day. This for anxiety only (I was taking this drug for a year before getting PN). According to my neurologists, it does not cause PN but it does not mask pain or control it either, it does calm the anxiety caused by pain. I do NOT suggest this - as I am no doubt addicted to this drug even at this low dosage. I take no drugs for pain, no aspirin or over the counter drugs either, even in a flare up. What I do take are vitamins. Here is my current list to which I feel has helped me heal quite a lot, thank God.

I’m currently taking these vitamins: B12 500mcg, Omega 3 120mg, Lycopene (for prostate health) Slow-mag magnesium, regular B1-thiamin 300mg per day (half in the morning-half at night) Vitamin C 100 and sometimes 200mg per day.

I’m currently considering trying out other supplements such as the Methylcolbamin B12 and Benfotiamine B1, but still can’t find them at my local stores. (Though I heard they may now be carried at Wal-Mart). And perhaps some mitochondrial aids, like acetyl carnitine, CoQ-10 and r-lipoic acid. Though I will have to do major research on these.

Lastly, I suggest taking the positive information from forums you read and most definitely stay away from negative ones! Negative posts about endless permanent suffering are only going to make you feel worst and scare the crap out of you. Plus most of the times they are not true, you can heal from PN, if not completely, then certainly to a point where you can live with it, often happily so. Here are some positive articles I found from real medical experts concerning Cipro and drug induced neuropathy. I hope this helps. God Bless.

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uc...ic/drugs.shtml

http://www.aan.com/elibrary/neurolog...01107020-00016
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nervous (01-17-2013)