View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So I finished all of my hearing & balance testing (wow - it was very intense going through all of it as it ramped up all PCS symptoms). I have "vestibular hypofunction", which very basically means experiencing dizziness or disorientation due to issues in the vestibular nuclei in the ear. Causes can range from viruses, infections, trauma, etc, but I was told that I've likely had it for years and have triggered it with the concussions. I will be starting vestibular therapy in a few weeks.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved....on the one hand it's amazing to think about the role the inner ear plays in our balance and sense of where we are in the world. On the other hand, it's a reality check that there is clear evidence that something is not right, and that is a hard pill to swallow

Thanks to all who shared their experiences and thoughts and this. I've been told this, much like PCS, isn't something to be cured, but managed. I've been told the therapy is very effective, but I will have to wait and see.

PCS "survivor" - first concussion 10/2010 with PCS for nearly a year. Hit back of head on a shelf. Symptoms were head and neck pain, vertigo, nausea, lethargy, anxiety & depression. Experienced greatest amount of recovery between 9-12 months, with the following year being much, much better

2nd concussion 12/2012 - hit front left forehead on wooden edge of couch. Currently dealing with a return of PCS symptoms including headache, nausea, vertigo, brain fog, and lethargy.

~ just trying to take it one day at a time
~
musiclover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote