View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I disagree with Concussion. There are very few PCP's and Neuro's who will understand your struggles. A Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) is sometimes a good find, if you can find a good one. The problem you risk with frequent doctors visits is being labeled a hypochondriac, somatoform disorder, and other negative labels. Over-medication is also a common problem.

Anxiety/panic attacks are usually caused by an overload of stimuli. Too much noise, voices and visual stimuli overwhelms the brains ability to process so it kicks into 'fight or flight' mode. This speeds up processing causing the anxiety attack. The injured brain has much less tolerance for this fight or flight mode so it tends to crash hard. The solution to this is to learn the triggers and how to moderate them. Some environments are simply not tolerable.

One problem with audio stimulation is related to being unable to identify the sound and the source of the sound. That dripping faucet or item blowing in the wind and banging against the building are common examples.

The concussed brain often can only process one channel of stimulation at a time. Sometimes, it will help to close your eyes to reduce the visual channel.

Unfortunately, few doctors will help you with these issues other than try to medicate you. The common anxiety meds are benzos like Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, and Ativan. They are not good for maintenance. Some need them for critical times. I find I do well with beta-blockers like propanolol. They have less side-effects and quicker action times with no CSF residue.

I bet everybody here has struggled with anxiety as some time during their concussion recovery.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jinga (01-18-2013), MiaVita2012 (01-18-2013), MsRriO (01-17-2013), musiclover (01-19-2013)