View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the response Bryanna!

I'm glad the roughness is normal from the Cavit in the short term.

As far as the long term goes, it seems like yanking the dead teeth altogether and going for implants is the safest route. My dentist did mention that this was an option but said root canal would be 90-95% effective and I'd get to keep my teeth. I guess I didn't realize that root canal is just prolonging the inevitable. If things continue to give me trouble over the next few months I'll go for the dental implants before it's too late.

Thanks so much for the help!

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Alan,

The rough spot on the back of this tooth may be the temporary filling material he used to patch up the access hole. It is called Cavit and is similar to a dry silly putty. It is rough after it dries.

Did either of your dentists talk to you about a long term solution to the chronic infection in these teeth which would be to remove them and replace them with dental implants?

The bone above the four front teeth is thin compared to the bone in the rest of the mouth. The bacteria from a chronic infection will deteriorate this bone causing it to become very fragile. Root canaled teeth are chronically infected because there is no way to remove the dead tissue from the tiny canals. So although you think you were symptom free for 9+ yrs, the fact is the infection was always brewing, you just weren't feeling it.

I'm not telling you this to make you panic more.... I'm telling you this to help you become better informed in case neither dentist has talked to about this.
You have the right to be properly informed so you can make decisions that you feel are in your best interest.

So if you think you want a long term solution and do not want to have to deal with these teeth again, talk to your dentist about removing them before the bone becomes too fragile for dental implants.

All the best to you!
Bryanna
alan.duda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote