View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Tracy, I have to disagree in part with what you're saying. I also have to say that being overweight does not equate to being unhealthy all of the time. There are so many prejudices in health care, particularly when it comes to women, that it's hard to imagine any of us actually get the care we need! Overweight people get diseases that are not attributable to their weight but to toxins or genes. Even skinny, healthy people can get cancer or other diseases.

For doctors to "flag" patients for needing care - which they don't get and subsequently need to back to the ER for - is a Dark Ages approach to patients that should be outlawed. What happens is that patients then think, "Whatever you do, don't go see a doctor." Pooh-poohing patients is dangerous and tantamount to harming them.

I know very good doctors who say that you should always seek out help if you don't know whether you're in the midst of an emergency. Sometimes your PCP or a nurse line can help. Sometimes, especially after hours, an urgent care center is enough. But there are times, especially if you have MG, when you can't breathe or move or speak when it's an EMERGENCY because you can't know how quickly MG will get or how bad.

Many other things are factors, such as not having insurance or being very far from a hospital. It's up to each patient to decide for themselves what to do.

Seishin has now, thankfully, been diagnosed with MG (see recent posts). Hopefully, your care, Seishin, will be much more respectful and useful in the future.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (01-19-2013), seishin (01-18-2013)