View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Curious,

First of all, DO NOT chew on that area of your mouth until the site has closed over. Secondly, it is not ideal for the graft to be exposed because contamination from food debris can disrupt the healing and infection can occur. Are you sure the graft is exposed?

It is typical for the sutures to come out 7-10 days after the extraction. Sometimes they last a week or so longer, depends on the type of suture material, how it was used and how much tissue closure was able to be done.
The collagen placed over the graft is there for two main purposes. One is to keep the surgical site covered in blood so the clot forms properly. Secondly it is there to protect the graft from becoming exposed or dislodged. So this material is important for the long term healing. It generally becomes one with the clot and doesn't fall out. Are you certain the collagen plug/membrane came out?

If you are in doubt of what has occurred, go back to your dentist and let him look again, ask him to explain what he sees to help reassure you.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious123 View Post
i had tooth #31 removed due to a failed root canal where the tooth developed a crack and subsequent infection. The dentist removed the tooth and also did a bone graft to prepare the site for a possible future implant. The removal and procedure went fine but the collagen material that was covering the graft soon 'oozed' out of the sutured graft area and then the sutures fell out a week after the extraction. The dentist said it was fine and the graft was still in place but I'm wondering if it is normal to have the graft 'exposed'? Will the surrounding gum tissue close around the graft? Should I worry that in the mean time the graft material is exposed? I'm reluctant to chew on that side until the graft is completely covered.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (01-21-2013)