View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I just received some confirmation that my condition is not just a small fiber neuropathy, but likely has central nervous system involvement....and it seems to be a bit similar to MSA, but not as profound, as rapidly declining or quite as debilitating, as of yet or if ever....so I don't quite fit in either forum, or I fit in both...kind of like a high school clique, you know? I don't tremor, but the restless leg is body wide....I do have spasms, fasciulations, numbness, tingling, occassional loss of balance, and a fair amount of pain. I also have a lot of parasomnias and hideous insomnia. My autonomic neuropathy is subsantial. So far my cognition seems OK,but I notice I am not as sharp as I was, but I was pretty sharp mentally, so I have a way to decline before I worry too much.

On the cycling, all I can say is I started cycling at 34, got into citizen level competitive cycling, eventually into sprint triathlon, but by 50, had to hang up the sprint tri and competitive stuff, as adrenaline, seems to make my BP and pulse dump on me....I am 54 now.

I can tell you that for me, you can tell a day when I bike from a day when I don't. Running is fine, but with my problems it also causes problems....walking doesn't get me a 'walker's high'...swimming is OK, but does not for some reason have the same effect as cycling. Endogenous opioids do play a huge role in what ever ails me and I have to keep them coming....problem is, some days, dysautonomia keeps me from moving much...I have to really, really force myself, but it is always worth it.

A bicycle is a great equalizer. I think one of the key things is it stresses balance mechanisms, too. It also develops major muscles that affect gait and also blood return to the heart.

Somthing new to look at out there in the realm of research is Orexin and the hypocretin system. Very cutting edge and a way off, but on the far horizon.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote