View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default No need to supplement when it's added to EVERYTHING!

Laura,

Thank you for this line of thought....I got to thinking (and reading labels) as I was grocery shopping, and realized that iron or some derivative thereof is added to so many foods! Bread, flours, cereals, cookies, all the baked goods because they are made with "enriched" flour, and when you think of how much flour-y products we consume (not just bread but pasta (lasagne, spaghetti, and more), soups like chicken noodle and minestrone, then fried foods like chicken, okra, chicken fried steak, etc.....it's scary. We probably get an overdose of iron just from all the iron that is added to foods we either buy at the store or eat at a restaurant. I found that only one of the six different brands of flours on the baking aisle did NOT have iron added to it!

As iron has been added to so many of our foods, and I have to digress and ask, starting when? That would be interesting to learn...it's in infant formula, infant cereal, it's even in the cream of wheat I ate as a child! So we are starting out with an iron excess that only builds as we grow up and no wonder people are getting dx'd with PD earlier and earlier.

I can't help but wonder if there is a connection with iodine. As iron was being added to these foods, iodine was taken out. It used to be that iodine was put into breads and cereals so that people living inland would get enough, but that changed and the powers that be took out iodine and instead put in bromide which is not particularly healthy for us but makes those baked products light and fluffy. Because it's much more important that food taste and look good than be nutritious, we all know. I wonder if there is any relation between PD/neuro conditions and the combination of iron excess and iodine reduction. Brownstein has written extensively about iodine, for those who are interested.

I just thought I'd share that if you are trying to watch your iron intake, it may not be enough to read what's in your vitamin pill-you need to read the ingredient list on everything you buy that's going to go in your mouth to see if it was "fortified" with iron. And they are making those labels smaller and smaller...
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote