View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks VL,

I too was unsure whether I needed to have that molar replaced by an implant. I chose to have the graft just in case I changed my mind. I believe (if the graft takes) I have a little more than a year to decide if the lack of a tooth there is causing me any issues and want an implant. Frankly the Dentist wasnt very informative nor forthright with my options. I have an appt with an oral surgeon to get a second opinion on the graft and whether I need a future implant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
I recently had a VERY BAD outcome with reference to work done on tooth #31, but we are all individuals. I too had a root canal and then a graft. In my case, the graft had to be removed due very difficult/troublesome complications.

Along the way, I went to two oral surgeons to get their opinions. They both implied strongly that the graft (in my case) should not have been done probably at all and certainly not on the same day. One strongly implied he never would have done it, PERIOD.

The second oral surgeon is also an MD. I specifically asked him if I had to worry about the teeth crowding, etc. because I had 31 removed and then ended up removing the graft as well. To my surprise, he said "no." He said eventually, after many, many years, there was a possibility, that the tooth above it might move down...but this is usually many years down the road and not a definte.

I have a friend and asked her this as well. This is because both her and her husband have back molars that were removed decades ago with no graft or implant. They have had no problems at all with teeth crowding or the top tooth moving down.

So, I guess everyone is different. Certain things are possibiities, but then again, it is unclear how high the probability might be.

Anyway, I think my graft was "exposed," but am unsure if this was part of my bad outcome or not. I had a little device like a hypodermic needle w/o the needle to squirt water on it gently to keep it clean.

I would be extra careful and not hesitate for one second to call the dentist if you are unsure about things or uncomfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! And if you didn't use an oral surgeon for this procedure, I would seriously consider using one in the future, should this type of think come up again.....hopefully not and fingers crossed.
Curious123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote