View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Curious,

Long before now the collagen material would be completely absorbed. This material is also not granules, it is soft and thin like a tissue. The bone graft material is granules... so that must be what you are seeing. If you are having infrequent, small granules coming out of the socket, that is normal. If you are "losing" the graft more than just as I have explained, then that is not okay.

How are you cleaning the socket? You should be thoroughly brushing and flossing all of your teeth while avoiding the socket. Only rinse with warm salt water. No irrigation or other mouthwash. Do not put anything in that socket to rinse it out as you will disturb the graft. Did your dentist give you post op instructions? Sometimes they neglect to explain things enough.

It is not usually a good idea to re-suture the surgical site. At this point there would not be enough tissue to suture closed, so they would have to cut and create a flap to suture.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious123 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks for the reply. In terms of the graft exposure, I guess it could be the collagen material but it has the texture of the granules used for the graft. I'm diligent about keeping the area clean but the small pocket does sometime trap food that I need to rinse out. Should I have the area re-sutured? The dentist didn't seem to concerned.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote