View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Here!

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old woman who's been having episodes of transverse myelitis in addition to other symptoms for the last six years. In 07, when I had just turned 13, I got acutely ill with the textbook TM: muscle spasms, progressing paralysis, binding pain, hyperreflexia etc. At the ER they dx'd me as Acute Idiopathic Transverse Myelitis and treated me with two weeks of IV steroids (after the first week symptoms returned so they re-hospitalized me for a second round). A slow and bumpy recovery ensued. Since then, I have had relapses (less severe) of TM as well as misc other neurological symptoms - sensory changes as well as severe shortness of breath caused by spasticity of the abdominal wall muscles and perhaps mild diaphragm weakness. Currently taking a round of 'roids for my latest TM relapse. Stickler: I have absolutely normal tests. MRI's w/o contrast of brain & spin; CSF; even an evoked potential. Every blood test available, including NMO IgG. Everything completely normal. At first neuros thought I was crazy, but now (after the history and objective neuro findings) they just don't know. Was seen at the UCSF MS Center who, on first visit, thought I had MS but after normal tests did not know. Current neuro is waiting for some confirmation before dx'ing MS: positive brain or spinal MRI or, he says, solid evidence that the disease was involving some other spot in my CNS and not just a specific band of spinal cord. Whew! There's the tirade. Sorry for all that babbling! Just really wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this - spinal-only MS and/or clear MRI's?

Thanks! And wishing everybody a peaceful and healthful neuro system in this new year!
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (01-20-2013), Erika (01-19-2013), SallyC (01-19-2013)