View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ugh... So sorry you went through this alone. How scary!

As for the TIA, I have a relative who has had this happen. She was at work when it happened, and thankfully her niece also works there and was able to give the medics info regarding her previous TIAs, because she said she could hear everything that was going on, but she couldn't respond. I have never had this happen, but it sounds like its at least a possiblity.

As for the ER/Medics not understanding, been there. 3 months after my accident, I experienced something similar but did not go unconcious. I think I was partly dehydrated and that's why it happened, but I was helping my boyfriend take clothes off the clothesline when I felt dizzy, sick and like I was gonna collapse. He got me inside and got ice packs to put on my neck and face. After 15 minutes of this, I had cooled down, but I started slurring my speech, had a pounding pain in my head and was really confused.

My boyfriend was worried and took me straight to the ER. The doctor who treated me was so incredibly rude. While trying to check my vitals, he kept asking me to open my eyes so he could check my pupils. But when I would try, my eyes would roll back. He got extremely annoyed and made a few rude comments. I tried to explain I couldn't control this, but he didn't care. He did an IV of fluids, (which was needed), but no testing. He diagnosed it as a migraine and released me.

I have had migraines before, (even before my accident), and this was wayyy more than a migraine. But he thought I was playing games with him, so he did no further testing. Because in my confused state, I would be with it enough to keep rolling my eyes back like that??? believe me, I had trouble hearing him and trying to follow directions, putting my own thoughts together was something way beyond my abilities at that point in time!

I hope some day this changes. That ER and medics have training on brain injury, so that they can understand better when something like this happens.

Take it easy and make sure you document what happened so you can take it with you to the neuro.

I agree with space, keep going until you find a doctor who gets it. It makes all the difference!

Mindy
What Happened: On 3/8/11 I was stopped waiting to merge into traffic when I was rear ended by someone doing 45 mph. I walked away from the accident, to fall into the pit of PCS 5 days later... (I have had 2 previous concussions, but neither developed into PCS.)

Symptoms 3 Years Post: Physical: migraines, infrequent vertigo, neck and back pain (from accident), tinnitus, visual field deficits in left eye, problematic light sensitivity, (including visual seizure activity), noise sensitivity, EXTREME fatigue, semi-frequent disrupted sleep cycles,
Cognitive: semi-frequent Brain fog after cognitive strain, limited bouts of impulsivity, unable to concentrate for more than short periods of time without fatigue, word finding problems, slowed processing speeds, impaired visual memory;
Emotional: easily overstimulated, depression, anxiety;

Treatment so far: Vestibular therapy; Physical Therapy; Vision Therapy; Vitamin Schedule; Limited caffeine; Medications; attempting to limit stress and overstimulation; Yoga; Cognitive Therapy
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote