View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us! We are always looking for more clues.

I have a lot of questions, but I don't want to overwhelm you. Do you have any sort of light-headedness along with the symptoms you list below? I had the impression (but I don't really know) that feeling faint is the hallmark of hypoglycemia.

Is AOS expected to improve when the patient stops over-training?

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_cat View Post
I just wanted to write my experience here with you to share in the hope it may help others and as a way of thanks for all your kind support on this forum.

I just spent 3 days as an inpatient, the outcome of which has been a provisional diagnosis of Athlete's Overtraining Syndrome. I understand this to come under the heading of a 'functional' disorder. From what I have since read I understand that this may also be described as a neuro-endocrine condition leading to autonomic failure and hypoglycemia. This seems to resonate strongly with my situation and to a large extent, explain my symptoms. For those interested, this is a good link:

http://www.ausport.gov.au/sportscoac...ining_syndrome

The main point I want to make is that to all intents and purposes, about 85% of my symptoms closely resemble MG. However, I am convinced that that is not the case. Let me give you some examples.

Neuro exam:

slurred speech that worsens on activity, inability to smile due to muscular weakness
difficulty holding arms out in front, leading to tremor, very slurred speech and falling off of chair (this tremor has been called 'distractable')
complete inability to walk on heels or toes due to not being able to contract calf muscles
positive Trendleberg's sign (left leg collapsing at the knee), however, I was then able to stand up
convergence spasm on eye movements when looking hard left, right and upwards

Other general features:

weakness in neck muscles, leading to head dropping forward
difficult breathing, chewing and swallowing
rapidly weakening muscles on exertion
slowing of muscular activity on repetitive physical tasks
weakness exacerbated by heat
carpal spasm on blood pressure monitor inflation

I am told that my muscle weakness is 'inconsistent' and that this cannot be explained by muscle fatiguability. I was not given a scientific explanation for this so if anyone has had a similar experience I would really appreciate some help in understanding exactly what this means.

If you are somebody who is having trouble getting a diagnosis and have, as I have, historically been very disciplined and active, and perhaps at times not eaten quite enough to meet your calorific output, perhaps you should consider AOS as a possibility. I would add I don't consider myself to be an athlete.

Of course, as always, I am very interested for your thoughts and reactions.
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wild_cat (01-19-2013)