View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Hankster1. Welcome to the forum! And thanks, Mrs. D, for helping. Yes, you can refer to a poster, especially when that poster is a Moderator!

I hope your neurologists will do the basic MG tests for you. So far, there are 2 MG antibody tests. The AChR binding and modulating antibodies and the MuSK antibody. You can still have MG and not have those be positive, however.

I don't know if you have MG but the hallmark of it is fatigable muscle weakness that gets worse with activity and better (relatively) with rest. What you're describing sounds a lot like MG.

I don't mean to pry but were you given Disulfiram to withdraw from alcohol? The reason I'm asking is that I was wondering what effect alcohol had on you and how long after you started taking the drug did you get these symptoms? How long have you been off of the drug?

MG doesn't normally come with spasms. Has anyone tested your vitamin B12 or D levels? If not, please do because deficiencies of both are very common. Have you ever had frostbite of your toes?

It is possible to have more than one thing going on at once, so keep that in mind while you're being evaluated.

A clinical exam should be revealing with MG and diagnosis is based on a clinical exam and then backed up with testing. There's a more specific kind of EMG called a SFEMG that they often do with people suspected of MG. I am guessing that they did your EMG on the lower part of your body, since Guillain-Barre is a feet and up disease. MG is considered a head and down disease. I know, that sounds odd and it's not always that way. But many MGers get symptoms of neck weakness, ptosis, jaw weakness (like while eating harder to eat foods), etc. first.

If you have an ophthalmologist, you can ask them to be referred to a neuro-ophthalmologist for evaluation of ptosis. They have specific ways of testing for MG and looking for double vision and fatigable ptosis.

Don't ever hate yourself. I don't necessarily like electronic devices either but they are useful.

Valium can be very bad for someone who has MG. Do you have any symptoms of being short of breath? Obviously if you can climb a mountain than you might not. But if you have MG, please be cautious of overdoing things. With MG, the more you do, the worse you can get. If you ever feel like you can't swallow, are really short of breath or generally weak, you should really dial 911. Since you aren't diagnosed yet, and IF you have MG, those symptoms can be indicative of the condition worsening rapidly. So, you'd have to get help rapidly.

I hope you have great doctors who can figure all of this out. Sometimes it does take seeing a couple of them to know what's going on. Keep asking questions and let us know if we can help. People here are fantastic!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dewcole (01-19-2013), mrsD (01-19-2013)