View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
wild_cat, Do you overtrain? Are you anorexic?

I'm a bit speechless. Were these doctors objective while evaluating you or had they already made up their minds that nothing was wrong?

Read this, particularly Type II and V.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/119777-overview

I hope you do get answers, ones that are logical and make sense. And then I hope you get whatever treatment is appropriate. Like a big hug.

Annie
I don't think that I have habitually over-trained for long periods of time, but there have been (relatively short) periods (notably before the first onset of my 'ME' symptoms) that could be considered severe calorific restriction + heavy endurance exercise + viral infection. I don't think I'm anorexic, I've certainly never been underweight before.

My second major relapse was preceded by a large bout of heavy exercise (dance performance in several places in Europe in quick succession) + viral infection + back injury.

In both situations I was left house-bound and without much food for 2-3 weeks as no-one was able to give me practical help at the time with shopping, so I was essentially slowly starving.

I have hill walked since aged 6 carrying a heavy pack and in my early twenties had a few occasions where I misjudged the distance and under-estimated the quantity of food required, meaning walking up to 36 miles in one day + 5,000ft of ascent and running out of food half way through.

So, though those things were infrequent they may have been the precipitating factors. I don't consider that my doing yoga for one hour in the morning is over-training, but perhaps it is the way I go about it. It's hard for me to tell when it has been suggested part of the problem is my approach to exercise. What I do know is that I am somebody who enjoys pushing my limitations and physical boundaries, and this has been a big feature of my work as well as my free time up until getting ill.

It's also something I find incredibly difficult to let go of and I still persist in trying to do high energy activity even when I can barely walk (!). But that is by in large a consequence of the graded exercise advice I'm continually given in which I am told to always do the same amount regardless of how I feel.

I know the neuro and assessing Dr had a preconception of what was wrong. I was actually quite strong with them and very challenging to their 'functional' diagnosis. I was feeling really put out by the whole situation until I spoke to (believe it or not), the psychiatrist. He is the only person who was speaking any sense and it was him that identified this might be the problem. He also explained to me why my arm is going into carpal spasm (blood flow restriction on already severely compromised muscles). I find it extremely weird that it was a psychiatrist that gave me this diagnosis.

I have come across the glycogen deficiencies and wonder whether it could be part of the story. But I have been refused any further testing or assessment and am not under any neuro. They may even refuse the fasting test on Monday, since it is me who will be instigating it, which is ridiculous as they have never done one.

I feel my hands are really tied in this situation. What I do know is that making changes to my exercise and diet pattern may have a very beneficial effect, and the only person who is making any sense whatsoever is the psychiatrist, because he is the only one giving me scientific explanations!

wild_cat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (01-19-2013)