Thread: C5 palsy
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default C5 palsy

hi
i'm new to this forum, but have posted for years on the Parkinson's Forum. I am looking for any information on C5 palsy, and would like to hear from others with this condition.
About 2 months ago i had surgery on my cervical disks (C3-6) due to a herniation, that was close to bursting. the surgery went ok, but afterwards i lost the use of my right hand and arm.
The docs said this was a rare side effect of surgery on the C5 disk, snd should correct itself in time. They "hoped" that i would get full functioning back and i should be patient.

I did some research, but didn't find much -- i did find estimates between 4 months - 12+ months for recovery, and that no treatment is suggested
I was referred for PT and OT.

Again,they said be patient. I don't think the docs understand that how debilitating this condition can be. I'm trying to use my left hand as much as possible, but i need help now for just simple activities of daily living - ssuch as dressing, cooking, bathing. i've lost all of my independence. I'm worried that i could be in the 30% that one study predicted won't fully recover.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with C5 palsy, how was it treated and what was your outcome?
thanks,
linda h
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
plower (01-26-2022)