View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie, thanks so much for content suggestions on the wallet/purse Anthology and reminder to have a health directive & will. My friend/caregiver & I have discussed their importance but haven't taken necessary steps to get them in place. I appreciate the nudge.

southblues, I've done a lot of research on medical alert id bracelets for MG. The pre-printed bracelets say 'MG' and that's it. MG'ers who have experience wearing these bracelets in emergencies complain of being put near the brink of death since medical staff didn't have the knowledge (or time? initiative?) to find out what that means with regard to care. Some patients weren't intubated, or received neuromuscular relaxants which worsened their condition, or were physically pinned to their beds by nurses -- thus preventing them from sitting up to breathe. Predictably, the negligent care aggravated rather than aided them in crisis.

I feel much of this negligent care can be prevented with enough basic info on a medical alert id bracelet/pendant to nullify some of the ignorance we encounter about the disease. Providing medical staff with basic guidance on our handling can make the difference between life & death for MG'ers. So my answer to dewcole is that it's very important to wear a medical alert id bracelet or pendant.

Prior to beginning medical intervention, medical staff don't always have or take time to look up medical information contained in alert id data chips or in someone's wallet or purse (which could also be missing from the scene). I forget the exact percentage (in the high 80's or low 90's?) but well over a majority of emergency medical staff look for alert id bracelets or pendants. I want ON MY BODY basic information to keep the emergency staff or nurse or whomever from worsening my condition through inadvertent negligence or ignorance.

I'm hoping there can be a brainstorm of ideas on what the medical alert ID tag's content might be.

By the way, does anybody know the word I'm looking for, it might start with the letter 'c'. It's the medical term to describe 'keep patient upright to breathe rather than reclining'?

Thanks for everyone's input. Please keep it coming.
seishin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dewcole (01-19-2013)