View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Couple of things. First I had the Spinal cord Stimulator implanted in 2006 and removed in 2011. I probably should have had it removed sooner then I did. I can't say that I had any issues or problems with the representative from Medtronic. They were helpful when I needed some assistance. I had it taken otu because of the severity of my spine issues and it just didn't work for me.

Now I am on the Intrathecal Pain Pump. The trial was done December 2012 and it worked wonders. I felt 90% relief knowing that it would not address all my problems. I have Cervical/thoracic and lumbar issues. So the implant was done at T10 level to help the mid back and lower back issues. I knew it would not help the cervical issues.

So after the trial was done I had the permanent one put in. Yes its only been a week plus a few days. I am NOT getting the same level of releif as I was with the temporary. But I was told by my doctor that some days may be better then others. I did not meet the Medtronic Representative so cant comment on the representative for the pump. But again I was told that or thought I understood that there may be differences between the temporary outcome and the permanent outcome.

I have had a few days where I felt some pain in my low back. But what I was experiencing was a far cry from what I experienced before the implant was done. It was very mild after the implant was done. And don't forget that it is not intened to work 100% of the time. That is why you are allowed to give yourself a "bolus" of extra medication to deal with those times when you do experience some pain. But since the implant I would say that I am almost pain free a majoity o the time.

I dont know what I will be like in 6 months from now. There may be a need for my doctor to reprogram the unit to allow for more "bolus". Right now I am on 48 mL per day. And the bolus is 0.100 which I can give myself an extra dosage once every 8 hours.

Time will tell what I will be like in the future.

Before the implant was done I did meet someone that the permanent implant done and she was with the Medtronic representatve. The woman raved about the success that she has been having with the implat. It has done wonders for her. I think if it wrent for the pump she was at the end of her rope as to the level of pain and didn't have any treatment options left for her. So she was extremely happy with the implant and what it is doing for her.

I went into this realizing that there were no guarantees.This is NOT intened to be a cure for the pain we are dealing with.l We have to be realistic in that some days may be better then others. But we should expect that the OVERALL improve should improve the quality of life by at least 50%. For me while it is a short period of time I am happy with the decison.
pebblebeach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote