View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Genetic predisposition, nutrition, enviromental exposure and the stress we put on our body all have a role in every disease.

In some disease we know (or think we know) the exact mechanism and in some we don't.

No doubt that life-style changes are essential when you become ill. If you become ill it means that the combination of your genetic predisposition and other factors caused it.

As you can't (yet) change your genetics, you have to change other factors.

medications interfere with certain biological processes, but this is not enough.
Sometimes it is not even required.

It is easier to take a pill that will take care of your high blood pressure or high cholestrol, but if that is all you do, it is not going to significantly alter your risk.

The psychiatrist helped because he was the only one who understood that although some people need to be encouraged to do more exercise, others need to be encouraged to do less. (a fact which was known from the time of Hippocrates). It seems as if he was the only one that did not have the "one size fits all" approach all the others had.

The combination of vigurous excercise with lack of nutrition can be deleterious. You don't need to have a rare myopathy for that.

Viral infections many times require a longer healing time. It's like a war that has been taking place in your body and it has to rebuild and correct the damage. This was also known from the time of Hippocrates (even before the discovery of bacteria and viruses) but this wisdom was gradually lost in our "instant fix" world.

Quote:
It's also something I find incredibly difficult to let go of and I still persist in trying to do high energy activity even when I can barely walk (!). But that is by in large a consequence of the graded exercise advice I'm continually given in which I am told to always do the same amount regardless of how I feel.
No doubt that this was very bad advice in your case.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (01-20-2013), wild_cat (01-20-2013)