View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default embrace MJFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
This is the spot where I usually blast the myriad "advocate" and "patient support" organizations. If we had but one strong collective voice, blah blah
Laura -- I've been working closely with several PD organizations over the last decade, time during which I have tried to maintain a kind of neutrality of opinion, believing it was not my place to favor one organization over another. All of them are doing their best to help patients, and I sit at organizational tables to represent patients, not to do the org's bidding.

But I have now come to believe that MJFF is our best hope for a cure, and will promote them as our collective voice. Michael J Fox is more than a figurehead. He, although in an exceptional position, is a patient and one of us. He is using his exceptionalism on our behalf, and I think what he and MJFF are doing is what any of us would have done in his position. I think it is time to rally behind him as the leading voice for PD patients everywhere. If we put our collective energy into MJFF, with the financial and intellectual power they already hold, we will be unstoppable.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (01-20-2013), soccertese (01-21-2013)