View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question

I don't have ATOS myself but am curious what symptoms you had leading up to the ATOS, that led to your diagnosis? My understanding based on what little I have read is that ATOS is supposedly quite rare and most people wouldn't likely be diagnosed unless they'd had some acute event, and generally that would lead to a recommendation of surgery, straightaway. But everyone is not the same, I'm sure. I was also surprised by your statement that you are recovering because what I've read about ATOS is that there is a congenital component which presumably doesn't just go away, barring a surgery. Anyhow, I'm not suggesting I know anything about this, because like I said, I don't have it, but just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeman View Post
Having ATOS does not guarantee you will need surgery. I was diagnosed with bilateral ATOS in the middle of 2012 w/ complete occlusion of subclavian artery bilaterally.

For me, I was completely unwilling to have surgery. Prior to developing TOS I was VERY active (5+ days per week at gym and/or playing basketball). My desire to eventually return to these activities made surgery a non-option.

Anyways, I'm currently recovering at what I consider a moderate pace. I'm back in the gym with a modified routine as well as playing some light sports. Progress is painfully slow compared to recovering from an injury. Staying positive and progressing at the pace your body allows is important.

Surgery should be a last resort. When an individual reaches that point varies from individual to individual.
starfish43 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote