View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalfee View Post
Anyone know of a neurologist working with Mucuna?

My Mom just moved to Sinemet but she is already having dyskinesia attacks about every 6 weeks. She is willing, we just need a qualified neurologist who can be very sensitive to her delegate condition.
first of all dyskinesias are caused by a fluctuating l-dopa concentration in the brain, not directly by too much levodopa. a normal person does not get dyskinesias taking sinemet and when someone goes on a pump that delivers a smooth flow of l_dopa, the dosage is upped a little and the dyskinesia rate is greatly reduced. when someone goes off the pump back to oral sinemet, dyskinesias don't kick in right away. so the challenge is to try to keep the concentration of l-dopa as constant as possible, and with the very short half-life of mucana because it doesn't have carbidopa, it's going to be worse than sinemet imho. sure people post here that they are taking it in lieu of sinemet but you have to ask how advanced their pd is, in the early stages your brain can store the l-dopa and keep it from being broken down so dosing isn't that critical, you might get by with 100mg every 4 hrs taken 3-4times/day, it's just like topping off a reservoir. at the disease progresses, it's more like trying to fill up a bucket with holes in it, you battle to add more than is being broken down.

i find it a little strange that rather than ask if anyone else here has successfully eliminated dyskinesias and continued to take sinemet, you immediately want to change to another short acting l-dopa drug, mucana. just curious:
1, how old is your mother and when was she diagnosed?
2. what pd drugs has she been on prior to sinemet?
3. could you be more specific as to how she is doing on simemet when there is no dyskinesias, what sinemet formulation she is taking and dosages.
4, is she seeing a neuro and what is their opinon about the dyskinesia?

people on this board may post they are taking mucana but almost all of them are taking it in addition to sinemet as far as i can tell. large amounts of l-dopa without carbidopa can make one very naseuos. without the carbidopa, most of the l-dopa is converted to dopamine in the stomach which cannot pass into the brain

deciding to just switch to mucana and eliminating all sinemet might be much worse than adjusting sinemet.

i suggest you buy a used copy of "the parkinson's disease treatment book" by ahlskog on ebay or amazon, probably will cost you less than $10. if will help you work with a neurologist.

Last edited by soccertese; 01-21-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: changed 3-4hrs to 3-4times
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote