View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default rsd and arthritis

Hi.I broke an arm two year ago which triggered rsd within two weeks (now known in hindsight...but not then).Was diagnosed after rsd spread to hand while in cast (severe swelling, sausage fingers, intense burning and crushing pain).Fingers on right hand became permanently 'frozen' in claw shape with very limited movement (which seemed to be triggered to worsen by aggresive PT). RSD spread to shoulder within three months of inital injury, causing 'frozen shoulder', adhesive capsulteits, which neccesitated a surgical procedure to 'release'. That went well, regained movement in shoulder and reduced pain. About 8 months after shoulder procedure, pain in shoulder returned, without the 'freezing' this time. Now, a year and half later, stiffness and pain have begun in opposite hand. Pain, however, is not of the burning type. Pain has also begun in opposite shoulder. I have had my share of 'arthritic' pain (I break horses for a living, with numerous broken bones amassed over the last thirtyy years and the resultant expected arthritic changes from them). The new shoulder pain and hand pain seem however to be directly related to rsd, and not to any previous injuries. A flare in rsd pain causes the shoulder and hand on the opposite side now to become much worse. I have been on Cymbalta 60mg per day for more than a year. Almost completely negates the 'burning. crushing' type rsd pain. Does not at all mitigate the deep-ache type of pain, or the arthritic type pain. I take arthrotec (diclofenac) and vicodin for the worst of the severe aching.
What type of medication is your doctor using to treat the RA symptoms?
I would love to know, with the possibility of looking into them to prevent increasing spread.
Thank you for any info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Has anyone had experience they can share regarding RSD and Rheumatoid Arthritis? I have had RSD since’86, primarily in my left leg, but it started to spread to the right one about 2001.

Early in 2004 I began getting a lot of pain in my fingers, wrists, and back of the hands. After stumbling around to a few different Orthopedics and Rheumatologists, I finally found a young woman last year who is really on the ball and not afraid of digging in a little. She found I have wide systemic Rheumatoid Arthritis and has started me on a cocktail of drugs to target the RA, instead of just more pain pills to mask the symptoms.

Even with all of that, I am in terrible agony much of the time. I do computer work and some days after about three hours, I am totally unable to use my right hand. I have had shoulder pain so severe that I can’t lift my arm more than about three inches. This is while being on both Oxycodone and Percocet.

At my last visit, she asked if I could distinguish the RA pain from the RSD pain. The pain I describe in my hands and shoulders doesn’t seem to match the severity of the RA. The two areas (leg and hand/arms) do seem different, but it got me thinking: Even though the two conditions are not related, one main symptom of both is severe pain. Is it possible that the RA pain is being blown up by the RSD? Does anyone else have this combination?

Thanks to all…

Mike
caitlin9489 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote