View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart OT:Know anything about South Africa/Capetown?

Have you been there?

Do you know anyone who lives there?

There is a lady in our homeschool group, she and her husband just moved here from South Africa - Capetown is the name of the city they are from. She asked to come over on Friday so our children could have a playdate.

I am nervous because I am not generally good at small talk. Although this is one on one and not in a group so I have that in my favor. We have met one other time for a playdate. Last time I asked about were they near Australia? In my mind Australia was right there, so close, but she politely said "no, Australia is a totally different continent". Well duh, I knew that! I'm no accent expert but I could have sworn she spoke like people from Australia. So I asked her about the weather there, were they in summer now, she said yes. Then later in the conversation I asked are ya'll under the Queen of England? She said not since the early 1900's. I think she thinks I'm an idiot!!! Bless her heart though she's real nice about it.

So if you have any conversation starters about South Africa please let me know. Or any good conversation starters in general. Our children seem to get along fine but I can't just sit there and sip coffee. That's what we mostly did the last time and it was just awkward to me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-21-2013), Mari (01-21-2013), waves (01-21-2013)