View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi, I'm new here!

Hi, everyone! In the interest of introducing myself, I decided to follow the advice in the "post your history" thread and post my own thread. I'm not sure how in depth the introduction should be, but here goes!

I am a 26 year old female and I have recently been given a diagnosis of n/aTOS in my right arm as the result of a cervical rib. In regards to the neurological component, my ulnar nerve is primarily affected, but the radial and medial nerves are also involved. My symptoms began before I can even remember. I have always had pain at least in my fingers, and as time went on, the pain progressed and worsened as I grew and beyond. When I was about 12 I started to show symptoms of atrophy in my 4th and 5th fingers. I never encountered a doctor who took my symptoms seriously, so no real attempt was ever made to find out what was wrong with me. Over the years pain, numbness, tingling, pins and needles, weakness, atrophy, swelling, twitching and cramping have become everyday symptoms. This has also led me to have a prolonged history with depressive episodes.

Luckily though, my condition is dynamic in that even though the symptoms are always present, they can change in severity over long periods of time. I have had several lengthy periods of total disability, but I have also managed to have a fairly normal life in the better times. I went to college and studied mechanical engineering and I graduated in 2011. I work in the design department of a large manufacturing engineering company. Currently, I am off work again. But it hasn't been all bad, as I have been taken seriously for the first time in my life which has led me finally to a diagnosis. And not just a diagnosis, but now that I have a name for what is wrong with me, I can join communities like this one. I am so excited to have a diagnosis and to finally be able to join a community of people who understand what I'm going through. The thing I am most excited about though, is that I can finally begin treatment. I am currently seeing a physiotherapist, a chiropractor, a neurologist, an acupuncturist, a massage therapist and my family doctor for treatments. I take gabapentin and tylenol 3 for pain, naproxen when the swelling gets bad and zopiclone when I can't sleep. I am currently working on and waiting to see if these treatments will help or if surgery will be required.

Whatever it takes, I am just so ecstatic to finally be able to see what life is like without pain!!! I would imagine most of you have been around for a while and mostly know each other, but please feel free to post here so I can get to know you guys, too!
tangerine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote