View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
Hello!
I've been using Fentanyl patches for 3 yrs (manufactered by Watson).
They've been very helpful.

Today I picked up my monthly refill and the pharmacy has switched manufacturers. These are made by Mallinckrodt.

I haven't opened them up yet, as it's not quite time to change my patch, but my immediate concern is that these patches are significantly smaller than those made by Watson. These are the matrix kind, which is administered via the adhesive. I've never used the matrix kind, only the gel ones. After what I've been reading online, I'm getting very concerned that these patches are for the birds and that I'm going to be in bed with pain and w/d symtoms. For one thing, I'm not finding very much info whatsoever and the few reviews that I do find are all negative.

Has anybody used both of these brands and if so, is there a significant difference in them?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Rae
I have used both the reservoir and matrix patches in the 100 mcg/hr strength.

I did not care for the Watson reservoir patches because I felt that the delivery of the Fentanyl was inconsistent and I had a heck of a time making them stick for longer than a few hours. As for the matrix delivery system, I have used Mylan, Sandoz and Mallinckrodt. Of those three, I found the Sandoz to be the most potent and long-lasting. My tolerance is quite high, but even so I can get at least 48 hours of significant pain relief from the Sandoz patch. Not so the other two. The Mallinckrodt are by far the least potent in my humble opinion, with the Mylan coming in 2nd. All three seem to adhere just fine though.

And of course, having found one I prefer, my pharmacist now tells me that he cannot get the Sandoz patches. Go figure. I am currently using the Mallinckrodt and I am not happy, not at all. I imagine that I will be changing pharmacies.

Hope this helps a bit.
unclereggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-27-2015), Rrae (01-25-2013)