View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Finally got better

I haven't been on here for a long time. I got very sick last spring with a whole host of seemingly unrelated symptoms. I was nauseated, I had numbness and tingling in my hands & feet, I had head pain, hand tremors, palpitations and tinnitus.

I had been to two physiatrists, my family doctor, a chiropractor and several PT's. I had a brain scan, MRI of neck and back, nerve conduction tests, blood work and was eventually referred to a rheumatologist. Everything came back normal - except all the long standing problems I knew I had with my back.

Two trips to the ER showed that I had low potassium. That was addressed with potassium IV and supplements. The heart palpitations went away. Another trip for the tremors showed that my TSH was very low (my T3 and T4 were normal). Apparently the tsh had been dropping for about 2 years. I've been on synthroid for over 30 years.

I had high anxiety about all my symptoms and was told to see a therapist and take an antidepressant. Neither worked and I stopped both.

It was after I saw my endocrinologist and got the right dosage of synthroid that my symptoms went away. As I got healthier my anxiety lessened. Now, several months on my proper dose and the numbness and tingling are gone.
These are not typical symptoms of low tsh but I had them.

It was a catch 22. I didn't feel well, the anxiety went up, and that definitely adds to the symptoms. Even now, it will increase my tinniutus.

So, no supplements. Nothing more than adjusting my synthroid dosage. Now my back problems - which are a train wreck - are another problem. But I will say that PT has never helped. I exercise. And try to eat right. I think that helps.

So, numbness and tingling can often have an obscure reason.
grandma123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote