View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Here - Just Need to Vent a Bit

I'm a Freshman in college and my concussion symptoms are extremely frustrating. Being a wrestler, I've had multiple concussions. In the sport it's inevitable you will hit your head. I guess if I'd have to put a number on it I'd say I've had at least 5 concussions, all stage two or less. The symptoms normally went away in a couple weeks or so max. This last one was different, I came back to my high school and was working a tournament. There were mats around and I was feeling good so I decided to wrestle around with some fellow alumni.

I took a shot (attempted a take down) and my head with great velocity hit someone's knee. I instantly felt a great pain and walked over to my brother. I started to have numbness on the left side of my body, then in my right eye everything turned basically into slow motion. As the numbness crept up my body I was unable to speak, I was scared and frustrated. I went out into the hallway and got some water, I felt like I was having a stroke. I sat down and avoided people for 30 minutes. My thought processes came back and I was able to speak coherently again. I just had an insane headache which wasn't abnormal, because I just took a 215lb guys knee to my head.

The symptoms decreased to essentially nothing, I went and practiced with the team. I wrestled notably well, I then a few days later went to the gym. I started getting dizzy and feeling spaced out, I just kept working through it. I drove home and knew something was wrong, I got in the shower and I didn't stay in there for more than 30 seconds. I was panicking because my head felt so weird. I went to the ER when the symptoms worsened. They took a CT scan to check for bleeding, they said there was no acute damage. I was prescribed Ibuprofen and was told to follow up at a concussion clinic I had gone to previously.

I was on bed rest for a week until I went to the clinic. They claimed I had damage to vestibular senses or "inner-ear" problems. Which was why I experienced all my symptoms, I was on bed-rest for about 1 month total. I came back to college, I'm two weeks out and I can tell things that seemed simple and easy are now complex and frustrating. I have these really bad headaches, well, migraines and my head just feels swollen. I have short term memory problems and it's scary. I can tell my symptoms are getting better, but there is no way I feel normal.

My main symptoms consist of numbness or tingling on my head, neck stiffness, vision problems (things seem kind of like they're floating), migraine aura, sensitivity to light/sound, and just a spacey feeling.

I guess I feel depressed and impatient. The main thing that is bothering me is that I have never had symptoms this bad from a concussion, or for this amount of time...

Any input would be nice.
ParkerM152 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote