View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Big thanks to both of you. I now take 300mg a day of regular b1 thiamin, so that was kind of an issue with me concerning ALA, but basically they say if we're taking B1 supplements, the drop caused by ALA won't be very much at all. I'm hoping that's true.

My decision to start taking ALA soon is more based on the possible benefits it brings to overall health, including cancer prevention, eye, prostate, lung, and circulatory health as well.

Still, looking to see if interacts with Clonozepam, but haven't found a peep about that on the net just yet. But it's an important thing to research before I start taking it.

As it is, my PN pains are often very frequent, but largely low-level pain these last 2 months - even in a flare-up and they are no where near the pain I used to have 4 months ago.

But I'd love to feel better and anything that was actually being prescribed as a natural healing agent for PN and its symptoms is obviously very interesting to all of us.

The only thing I find disconcerting about ALA is that in Germany, when it's used for diabetic neuropathy it is mainly used in IV form and not given out much as an oral pill to take by mouth.

I would NEVER inject anything into my body. But was wondering if taking the ALA by mouth was still effective in treating PN?

I'm also glad to hear that my local Walmart has now updated a pretty sizable vitamin isle. Hopefully I can save some money now instead of dishing out so much cash at my GNC. So I'm interested in checking that out soon, too.

Ah...almost forgot an important question here - I was wondering about dosage. I want to try out ALA but I'm not sure what an appropriate dosage would be to start out with. I want to see if it will reduce my PN pains, but don't want to start out at a high dosage. I'm thinking maybe 100mg or 200mg maximum daily -although I hear 800mg is what's used for PN patients. Still, I don't want to start out taking such high dosages, especially since I intend to take it for a long period of time.

What is an appropriate starting dose?

Last edited by Jesse M; 01-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote