View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Dandelion Clock,

There could be a few things going on with your mouth and teeth. Hormones and oral contraceptives do indeed affect the health of the gums. Here is a link on the basics of some oral health concerns regarding women..
http://www.idph.state.il.us/HealthWe.../oralwomen.htm

Another thing is the compulsive oral hygiene.... over brushing, flossing, using mouthwash... can all cause irritation and recession of the gum tissue as well as and imbalance of the good/bad bacteria in the mouth leading to gum disease.

All mouthwashes that contain alcohol, preservatives, chemicals, and dyes are unhealthy for our gums, our throat, and our digestive tract because they negatively change the bacteria pre-disposing us to periodontal disease and even oral cancer. You do not have to drink the mouthwash for it to coat your throat and so on.... it migrates down there on it's own via saliva.

Mouthwash in general is unnecessary if you are trying to attempt to kill the bad germs in our mouth with chemicals because while killing the bad, it is also killing the good. So there is more harm being done than you realize. The only mouth rinse that would be somewhat helpful (although not necessary) is one that is either made from essential oils or one that is an herbal blend both without any chemicals, dyes, preservatives or alcohol.

The best oral hygiene regimen for most people is to thoroughly brush your teeth twice a day, floss, use soft picks in between the teeth where ever they may fit, use a tongue scraper once a day and eat a well balanced alkaline diet free of sugar and sugary drinks. There is nothing in that regimen to disrupt the bacterial flora in your mouth, even with people who have a compromised immune system due to illness or medications.

Another thing that could cause the teeth to hurt and/or feel loose is grinding or clenching of the teeth. When this becomes a chronic habit, the teeth start to show wear on the edges as they get worn down and gum recession occurs as the teeth loosen from their original position in the jaw. If this has become a new habit for you... from stress perhaps... you may not even realize that you are doing this and the signs may not be present yet on your teeth.

I hope this information is helpful. Let us know if you want to discuss this further!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionClock View Post
Background: I've been on combined contraceptive pills for about a year, various brands because they all make me throw up, I think I must have thrown up 30 times in the last year or so, so three weeks ago I stopped taking them.

This Monday I woke up and all my teeth felt loose. My mouth cannot get clean no matter how much brushing/mouthwash. It scared me so much I went to a dentist the next day, who said no gum disease or cavities, perfect teeth. I can feel my pulse in my mouth sometimes, and my saliva somehow seems more bitter.

It's driving me crazy, I've been told to go back to the dentist in a few weeks if it doesn't clear up but I can't sleep, work or drive for worrying about it.

My ideas: has anyone had pain of wisdom teeth coming in that feels like this? Had any tooth problems after coming off hormonal contraception? Or does it sound like sensitivity from the throwing up? Surely if that was the case the dentist would have told me the enamel was wearing off... But I have always taken good care of my teeth.

Sorry for rambling.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DandelionClock (01-25-2013)