View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome to NeuroTalk, and yes you found the right place.

Sorry to hear of your struggles. You will find others here with similar experiences.

While frustrating, your symptoms are not uncommon for those with concussions or other types of TBI. While three months probably seems like a long time to you, as brain injuries go yours is relatively recent. Seeing a neurologist and speech therapist are the right steps. I was helped by seeing occupational and speech therapists both in hospital and as an outpatient. In addition I saw clinical neuropsychologists who helped design specific therapy treatments.

Similar to you, I did experience problems with memory and reading comprehension. With time and therapies these resolved and I was able to return to work six months after my accident.

The more information you can share with us the more we can assist by sharing our experiences, particularly what works for us and what doesn’t. For example, was this diagnosed as a concussion? Were you admitted to hospital, and if so what was your GCS? Lots of folks here with experience to share. Best to you on your recovery journey.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote