View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I can totally relate

I am new here. I have had strange neuro symptoms for over a year. It began with neck and throat spasticity, mostly at night. I attributed it to stress and anxiety (which I have had my share over the year). The spasms happened just below my chin also. It is frightening because I feel as if my throat is closing. I also had difficulty swallowing. Over the next few months I began having other intermittent symtoms. Arm weakness, occassional tremors and vision. My eyes will ache and i have blurred vision when I look down. It also feels like nystagmus (eye jumping).

I have periods of severe fatigue, arm muscle weakness and muscle jerking. My arms will sometimes just involuntarily jerk.I have had tingling in both legs, but no weakness. I also have speech difficulties in that I struggle to get the words out. So, I am a healthcare provider and I have tried to diagnose myself to no avail, which exacerbates the anxiety. This viscous circle of 'did the chicken come before the egg" scenario. I finally saw a neurologist and had an MRI. I have an appt next week for evoked potential testing and nerve conduction studies. My neuro called me and said the radiologist doesn't really think MS ( which is what we were thinking), but I do have herniated cervical disc with spinal cord compression.

I don't want a diagnosis of either one, but i'm not convinced my symptoms are not MS also. Very frustrated and wanting answers. The worst symptom so far is the throat spasm and problem swallowing. It causes panic with me.
susanjesparza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote