View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kev,

Your situation is fairly typical. Lower impacted wisdom teeth can be a bit of a PITA to remove as they sometimes get locked into the bone. It is also typical for small bony fragments to come out as the site is healing. These are actually pieces of the jaw bone that splintered during the surgery. These usually pose no harm and either come out on their own or the surgeon removes them if they cause inflammation, infection or pain.

What are you irrigating the socket with? You should only be using warm salt water and use only gentle pressure with the irrigation syringe. No mouthwash what so ever as the chemicals and alcohol in it can prevent the site from closing all the way. And never use force with the syringe.

I know you think why did I do this in the first place since it wasn't bothering you before you had it done. Well if this tooth was positioned in a way that it was (or could have been) damaging to the second molar, then it was wise to remove it. It is typical for the other teeth in that quadrant to feel sore to chewing and for the second molar to be sensitive until the area heals closed. There was quite a bit of bone manipulation during the removal of that wisdom tooth and the nerves and ligaments in that quadrant are upset about all of that. So they will calm down. The sensitivity in the second molar may be due in part to gum recession. If that doesn't subside completely then your dentist may be able to cover any exposed root surfaces after the extraction site has healed.

Hope this is helpful to you. If you feel the site needs to be rechecked by the surgeon for any reason, don't hesitate to do so.

Also... refrain from smoking (anything) or drinking alcohol until the site closes over completely

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdood83 View Post
Hello Bryanna and all,

I was googling the troubles I've been having since my Wisdoom tooth was extracted; and I found this site. I read several of Bryanna's posts and I'm hoping she or others can help.

Here are my details:
-29 years old
-In good health. Recent physicals good.
-Occasional drinker but not since the extraction. No tobacco products but occasional marijuana.
-No medication

Exactly 2 weeks ago I had 1 wisdom tooth removed on the lower left side. Prior to the extraction it was painless and not abscessed or anything. My dentist wanted it removed he said because "it is impacted and could be trouble down the road." So after an X-ray or two I went into an Oral Surgeon to have it done.

The extraction was difficult, I was awake with local novocaine to numb it. It took 45 minutes to remove the one tooth. With much sawing and cracking to the tooth to bits. Finally they did dissolvable stitches and sent me home.

I was put on Omoxicillin and Vicodin and told come back in a week. The bleeding took 12 hours to cease.

I went back a week later. More X-rays, still some pain. He found and removed a bone chip but said the clot wasn't big enough to fill the socket. He said he was glad to see it was not dry socketed or infected, but wanted to pack it with this clove packing to help my pain and fill the exposed socket so he packed it for 4 days. I went back again and he said it "looked good come back later this month" and he gave me more Vicodin which makes me woozy.

So now here I am 2 weeks post extraction. I don't have pain like before... However the teeth next to extraction site are tender if I chew on that side, and I have to keep flushing out my socket with some tenderness still in the gums. Also the packing he had in made the socket LARGER which I thought was weird.

Furthermore the tooth directly next to the empty socket is SENSITIVE to hot and especially cold, because its base is so exposed deep in be socket. Also the socket doesn't seem to be closing much. I feel another sharp piece I am pretty sure is another bone chip. It feels like the other bone chip did.

Is all of this normal? I feel like what was a painless tooth has turned into a nightmare. I wish I never had it removed and Im just so upset.

I would appreciate any advice.

-Kev
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kevdood83 (01-28-2013)