View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Kev,

Your situation is fairly typical. Lower impacted wisdom teeth can be a bit of a PITA to remove as they sometimes get locked into the bone. It is also typical for small bony fragments to come out as the site is healing. These are actually pieces of the jaw bone that splintered during the surgery. These usually pose no harm and either come out on their own or the surgeon removes them if they cause inflammation, infection or pain.

What are you irrigating the socket with? You should only be using warm salt water and use only gentle pressure with the irrigation syringe. No mouthwash what so ever as the chemicals and alcohol in it can prevent the site from closing all the way. And never use force with the syringe.

I know you think why did I do this in the first place since it wasn't bothering you before you had it done. Well if this tooth was positioned in a way that it was (or could have been) damaging to the second molar, then it was wise to remove it. It is typical for the other teeth in that quadrant to feel sore to chewing and for the second molar to be sensitive until the area heals closed. There was quite a bit of bone manipulation during the removal of that wisdom tooth and the nerves and ligaments in that quadrant are upset about all of that. So they will calm down. The sensitivity in the second molar may be due in part to gum recession. If that doesn't subside completely then your dentist may be able to cover any exposed root surfaces after the extraction site has healed.

Hope this is helpful to you. If you feel the site needs to be rechecked by the surgeon for any reason, don't hesitate to do so.

Also... refrain from smoking (anything) or drinking alcohol until the site closes over completely

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks so much for the reply, I think its neat you help out so many folks here.

I have been irrigating it with warm salt water using a syringe they gave me. I normally use alcohol free mouthwash, but since the extraction I have been diluting it 50/50. I will stop however and just do the warm salt water gargles and syringe going forward after brushing. (Currently using sensodine)

Yes the base of the tooth next to the extraction site is exposed and the Surgeon says this is the cause for sudden extreme sensitivity. He said tissue should grow to cover it, but I don't see any tissue growing around the base of that tooth and it doesn't appear to have progressed or desensitized. He said he might have to do a tissue graft to cover it if tissue doesn't grow over the base.

I'm worried how little my tissue growth has progressed.

He also said there is normally a little nub of bone between teeth and gum tissue between teeth, but since my impacted wisdom tooth was literally sideways there was not tissue or bone between the wisdom tooth and the now exposed molar. He said bone should grow next to the newly exposed tooth and tissue should cover it. I sure hope so!! It's so sensitive to cold especially.. Even breathing through my mouth on a cold day causes the sensitivity to flare... So as long as Im not eating or breathing I'm OK

Do you know how long the neighboring teeth on that side will hurt to chew with? (I've been mostly chewing on the other side)
Kevdood83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote