View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbullet View Post
Hi there
I only skimmed through the other responses, and I am not here to ask you questions, but just to let you know that somewhere out there (over here :-) is a 29 year old woman with severe neuropathy ( at the moment idiopathic)
I burn from my neck to my feet. Thighs, stomach, arms and legs at the moment. And that is on lyrica, supplements, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. I can only imagine what it would feel like withOUT the medication
If you ever want to vent, please don't hesitate to PM me.
I pray for your strength.
Featherbullet, I too have severe peripheral. I'm replying to the meds that you are taking and what I've learned this week. I too take lyrica, 200 mg. 3x plus an extra at bedtime. Gabapentin 600mg. 3x. Essentially, "maxxed out" on both of them. I also take vicodin, about 1-1/2 hour before bedtime.

Recently, I tried something different with my doctor. We weaned off both the lyrica and gabapentin while starting on the Fentanyl Patch. (synthentic morphine.) Once weaned off of those two, the pain was terrible while on 25 mcg/hour patch. I had to start taking some low dosages of lyrica and gabapentin. Then my doctor took me off of the Fentanyl Patch, and started me on MS Contin. (morphine sulfate - 30 mg.) up to 3x. Still pain was so severe that I stopped it and went back on my regular dose of lyrica and gabapentin.
I go to a monthly "Pain Support Group". Our speaker was a Pharmacist who has specialize in Pain Medicine.
Long story short, Morphine, Fentanyl, Oxycontin, all "opioids" do NOT work for nerve pain.
As a matter of fact, they make it worse.
(When I came off the trial of fentanly and morphine, which was almost 7 weeks, I couldn't understand why my pain was worse, even though I was back up to my normal dosage.)
He told me that although the vicodin is in that same catagory, and it works for me, I should keep using it for breakthough pain and at bedtime.

You said, "And that is on lyrica, supplements, oxycodone, and hydromorphone. I can only imagine what it would feel like withOUT the medication ".... You may want to stop the hydormorhone and oxycondone. They may be making your pain worse over time. Maybe substitute with vicodin.

Mike B

Last edited by MikeB; 01-26-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
MikeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote