View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Electrocuted,

I am guessing that perhaps you are feeling a little overwhelmed at all the advice and suggestions you have received. Don't worry - there will be time to sort everything out . . . hopefully as you feel a little better.

At the risk of hitting the tipping point . . . I would like to add just a bit more. I would strongly encourage you to seek out a therapist. Quite a few of us here have had the combination of intense pain and depressive/suicidal feelings -- I think you can't have that kind of pain without some of those feelings. And quite a few of us have benefited by having someone whom we can talk with and will listen and understand.

I am not recommending this because you are "sick" or "mentally unbalanced" or whatever . . . just because it usually helps. Having regular sessions provides not only support when we need it the most, but also can supply some needed grounding and structure when it seems like there is no reason to live.

As it turns out, I am a clinical psychologist, who at one point in my career worked with chronic pain patients. Then I became one myself, so I do know both sides of that relationship. If you want any info or advice about any of this, I would be glad to help.

Also, to keep adding to the pain relief list . . some other things that might help include electrical stimulation and topicals. In my experience, virtually all of us respond to some intervention of this type. You may have to do a little trial and error experimenting, but relief, at least to some degree, is available. There are many postings about these things here -- and if you are not up to searching, no need, just ask . . . as you see, the folks here are only too happy to help.

rafi
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote