View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Great advice from all...

What everyone has offered so far is great. I might add a few things:

Mirapex is an agonist (stimulates dopamine receptors). Before you ask to switch agonists...

-have you talked with the neuro about a slow release agonist where he takes one pill a day? This can help smooth out side effects.

- know that it is very easy to over medicate. When I visited my GP she was concerned that I had drug induced bi-polar disorder, so I dropped down from 12 mg of Requip XL to 8 mg slowly with no adverse effect on my symptoms, yet before had no clue I was over doing the drug in the first place.

-Exercise is vital; this can really help with anxiety and depression.

-Anxiety and depression go hand in hand with PD itself and agonists can make anxiety worse.

What doctors do not tell you is that agonists also are much likely to induce hallucinations, hypomania, and a delusional jealousy known as Othello-Syndrome.

Frankly, the compulsive behaviors associated behaviors, imho, are the tip of the iceberg with this class of drugs. Your doctor should inform you of all your treatment options; give you the low down on each and let you both have a say on your treatment. Yes, Sinemet has a serious drawback, but people used to take much higher doses and there were no behavioral reports published then, even current reports on that are sparse. If I were you, I would tell the doctor your concerns re: personality changes (call him to talk privately if necessary). Give him a few examples; then ask what can be done.

Hope this helps somewhat...

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
heidil (01-30-2013)