View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MsRrio,

Good to know there are some hockey community members on the forum! As far as your son goes, I understand your concern with the risk of injury, however, just to give my two cents, despite my concussion turmoil currently, I would never have changed my past or stopped playing hockey when I was younger even though I know the sport has contributed to the problems I face now. The sport has taught me so many valuable lessons in life, is responsible for some of the best times of my life and lifelong friends that I currently have, and is a direct cause of the life I currently lead. In other words, hockey has gotten me to where I am today and has shaped me into the young man that I am.

Obviously if he grows out of his love for the sport, that's all and well, but I wouldn't try and turn him away from it. Not that you said anything like that haha and I'm sure you're well aware of that, I just thought I would give you my thoughts on it.

It's a shame that you don't have some more resources up where you live, I can tell you that the gabapentin has certainly helped with my headaches, as well as a healthy diet and plenty of rest. I would recommend trying to acquire a prescription to help with your own recovery. You said it best: our ability to adapt to change and limitations is a huge part of coping with PCS.

I have only worked out twice since my doctor's recommendations and both have been successful, though I have been very cautious. Thirty minutes on the bike at a fairly slow pace and then a very light arm and shoulder workout is what I have gotten to so far and I have not noticed any resulting headaches. I will continue to update on them.

I hope you start feeling better soon, I know how frustrating it gets as I am still not back to normal.
pswift02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote