View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne4tos View Post
There are two doctors in Northern California you will find mentioned, Avery in SF and Lee at Stanford. I've had consultations with both. I'd get an opinion with at least one, if not both. The more opinions you have the better you can make a comfortable decision.

I've researched TOS a lot over the past years and I would travel to see who I felt was the most competent and conservative. There seems to be a growing interest in Dr. Donahue in Boston and that's who I narrowed down on years ago if I ever blew a clot. Not a "little bit" of travel though for us.
I have read some not so good things about James Avery, didn't go so well with Kellysf from our forum.

I did see Dr. Lee at Stanford. I didn't need my ribs removed so I did not have surgery with him.

It pretty much boils down to Dr. Lee @ Stanford in Northern California, if you send a PM to Agabor and/or Hollyjohnson71, they both had their surgeries with Dr. Lee at Stanford. Hopefully they will come on the forum and see your post. They seem to have done well then but don't know how they are doing at present.

Dr. Gregory Pearl in Dallas, Dr. Thompson in St. Louis, Dr. Dean Donahue in Boston are heard about quite often on the forum. And any others you might come across on the sticky list.

It's hard to get a referral from your physician for TOS surgeons, you pretty much have to do all the research yourself and go with a vascular surgeon who is competent and does a lot of these but is also conservative. I don't think Dr. Lee or Dr. Thompson could be called conservative though.

Good luck with finding the right one for you. You may have to travel and see couple of them before you decide whom to get your surgery done with. I would surely get couple or more opinions, if possible.

Last edited by stos2; 01-29-2013 at 12:53 AM.
stos2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote