View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhasty View Post
aascvt:
Regarding heat, me too. So much so that I wear sandals in the winter here in Omaha. No socks! Not only do socks warm things up, they also rub me the wrong way. I'd love to just go bear-foot and leave it at that. Heat just kicks off the redness, inflammation, and burning pain. I use ice too when I am desperate, though I have read warnings against it here on this forum. Doc has me trying Ketamine-Gabapentin-Lidocaine-blah-blah-etc specially compounded lotion by Sheffield Pharmacy in Alabama. It does help, though not completely. After using it coupled with my pain meds, I find I do drift off to sleep much easier. So it must help to ease the pain enough I can get to sleep. When I wake, I generally feel better.

I have an 15.9 year old dachshund named Frank Furter. He is 11 pounds. He tries to help me out as much as possible, but other than providing me comfort he is not much of an assist dog. He is just too small.

I am new to this forum too. I tend to read mostly. I see my Doctor in early February. I plan to bring a list of questions generated after reading other forum members' posts. I would have liked to have landed here sooner.

Hope you also find helpful info that you can put to use too.

BTW: I am Type II Stage 3. My Doctor doesn't mislead me about a cure. My medical care is about pain management now. Those things I used to love to do, well, they are really great memories. I use a wheelchair if I leave the house. On really bad days, I use it in the house, if I can get out of bed.

Hi Djhasty..

I insist on being sock-less around the house until extreme cold.. then just thin socks. I can only wear very thin pants at night.. my scrub pants, due to the burning.. and I have to pull the blankets completely away from my legs. My doctor just prescribed a Ketamine topical cream.. it was in combination with a few other things.. my insurance wouldn't cover what she wanted, sadly. So they suggested something "similar" and are asking the doctor if she'll OK that. Waiting.. waiting waiting.
I love hearing that many of us have a dog at home to cheer us up. They're so amazing. I love your dachshund's name! : ) My dane is not an assist dog at this point.. but I know that she would certainly try. I can lean on her shoulders on the icy driveway and she doesn't mind.. so I do appreciate that.

A
aascvt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote