View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am sure that statins caused my PN since it started shortly after my doctor put me on Lipitor. I previously had increased serum creatinine (reduced kidney function) due to reaction to dye prior to a ct-scan. That means that any medication I ingest willl stay in my system longer. Anyway, as I said the PN started shortly after starting Lipitor. Also my serum creatinine rose considerably. Upon stopping the Lipitor (my idea, not doctor's), my creatinine returned to normal for me (still elevated), but PN remained. I have gotten some improvement taking some of the supplements suggested on this website.

I found the article at **to be interesting (or should I say sad for the person involved). Besdes the patient's story though, it also mentioned the following:

"Recent work has indicated that simvastatin inhibits central nervous system remyelination by blocking progenitor cell differentiation. By extension, it probably inhibits progenitor cells in the peripheral nervous system."

So, by continuing to take a statin drug, you may be counteracting the benefit of some supplements.

I would also like to mention something about statin alternatives like Zetia
and Niaspan (perscription Niacin). While these alternativs may improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels, there is no evidence that that reduce heart attacks or prevent heart disease. Even Zetia's web site says this. Latest studies indicate Niaspan may actual increase the likelihood of a stroke.

We all have to make our own health decisions. But for now, I will try to manage my cholesterol and triglycerides by impoved diet and some vitamins and supplements.
StevenD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-20-2015)