View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, and welcome. Many of us here spent a long time in diagnostic limbo, and many are still in it. I spent 15 months there, and I found it the worst place to be. I felt like I could face almost anything but that. How can you emotionally adjust to something when you have no idea what it is? It can really be consuming. So, we understand how you feel, and we hope we can help!

I'm going to try to answer your questions in a really general way. I hope others will chime in.

Most of us don't have nerve pain. That's not a known symptom of myasthenia gravis. Some of us have muscle pain, but many of us (me included) have no pain at all.

Rest is helpful to all of us, I think. I think someone whose symptoms were under good control would have times when they felt normal. On a good day, I have some time when I don't notice any symptoms, though I know if I overdo it, I'll get weak and tired. On a bad day, my arms feel heavy and my neck feels tired all day, and in the evening my legs get very weak.

Most of us feel our best in the morning and get tired and weak in the evening. That's typical for MG, but there are always exceptions. The hallmark of MG is that it causes fatigable weakness: weakness that gets worse with activity and better with rest. MG can cause shortness of breath if the muscles that you use to expand and contract your lungs are weak.

I have good periods and bad periods. During a good period I can grocery shop. During a bad period, I can still go, but I'll be wiped out later in the day. I, personally, zip up and down the stairs all day (I have seven kids!), and tend to get weak in the evenings. Many people with MG hold down full-time jobs. Some go into remission.

Many of your symptoms are not on the list of typical MG symptoms. Tingling, numbness, and burning pain are not myasthenia symptoms. Myasthenia muscle weakness can start anywhere, but it's not common for it to start in the calves and feet.

Dizziness and faintness are not MG symptoms, though MG can throw you off balance. But feeling like things are spinning, or like you're going to pass out, are not MG symptoms.

I hope you get answers soon. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. We don't mind long posts. Hang in there,

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
keepingfaith (01-29-2013)