View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Montos,

Yes, I have seen what you have described countless times and for a variety of reasons.

Grinding your teeth can causes inflammation along the (very) vital periodontal ligament that acts as rubber band allowing the teeth to move while chewing and also helps to hold each tooth in the bone. It is similar to wearing braces on your teeth and the constant movement of the teeth causes several areas of the mouth to hurt. The only thing that can help alleviate this kind of pain is to take the pressure off of the ligaments. With grinding sometimes a night guard is helpful but it has to be worn every night. Some people have to wear a splint (similar to a night-guard) during the day if they are grinding then too.

Generally pain killers do not relieve this type of pain. Muscle relaxers actually work better to reduce the inflammation.

Yes, teeth can shift and throw off the bite just enough to cause certain teeth to hit abnormally and cause pain. Did you have a normal, comfortable bite prior to the problems with that tooth? Did you wear a night-guard previously?

The pain can be intermittent or occur at certain times of the day depending on when you are grinding your teeth. Not all bruxers grind their teeth when they sleep... some do so during the day. By any chance do you chew on the inside of your cheeks?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by montos View Post
Oh, I grind the heck out of my teeth. Hence the crowns, my teeth were worn down. As far as root canals I may have 1 but don't recall.

Wouldn't pain killers like ibuprofen help if it was just grinding? Also, it gets better at night and starts up during the day, isn't that opposite as well? I had thought about it since it started after about 3-4 days. Can teeth shift and throw the bite off?

You have a lot of experience have you ever seen this before after an extraction? Unrelenting pain other teeth. I'm really quite scared here.

Montos
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote