View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
... I think they were very high. I'm not diabetic though...I'm on a very high calorie diet...So extra protein though doesn't help rebuild the nerve quicker? Were you saying soy is good?...I wonder why sugar is such an issue if not a weight problem? I eat mostly whole grain but I do consume sugar.
Prediabetes is correlated with poor nerve function and PN. It is called various names. "glucose syndrome", "prediabetes", or "metabolic syndrome". Excess glucose in the blood increases inflammation, damages nerves, and slows down or stops healing. Sugar and starch consumption leads to prediabetes and diabetes by stressing the liver and pancreas, and reducing the bodies ability to utilize insulin. This is a topic every aging person should know about. Eating a high glycemic index diet is one of the main reasons for poor health. Here's some places to start your research: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...hy&btnG=Search and http://www.google.com/search?q=insulin+resistance+neuropathy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USofficial&client=firefox-a

As a practical matter to slow down carbohydrate absorption, my excellent physician at Scripps Clinic here in San Diego recommended including a few nuts or a bit of cheese when eating high sugar fruit such as an apple or orange. The glycemic index of starch is the same or more than sugar. My next dietary change will be to switch to mixed grain pasta for that reason.

Protein can't be stored in the body. Once you have enough protein, any additional is broken down into fats, sugars, and toxins. Most Americans get more protein than is healthy.

Soy is good because it's low oil, and soy oil is healthier than animal fat. It's not a magic cure or anything. The highest quality and easiest digested protein sources, in order, are eggs, fish, lean poultry, vegetable proteins (soy, beans and grain together), red meat, shoe leather.

========

I don't think that there is any magic or quick cure for PN. Except in rare cases of PN caused by infection or toxins, most of our PN represents a breakdown in our general health. That breakdown shows up differently for each of us. Some get diabetes or heart disease or arthritis or other degenerative diseases. We got PN. Some of us have several or all these problems and more at the same time. Metabolic disorder is the root cause of much or most of this degeneration. That's the problem with sugar and starch.

Has your doctor reviewed what the nutritionist is doing? I don't think most certified clinical nutritionists would recommend a high carbohydrate diet unless you have specific health conditions that require it. Back in the 70's through early 90's when I ran and backpacked and my wife ran and taught aerobic dancing, a high carb diet was the norm for athletes. Then came the goofy Atkins no-carb diet. The thinking now, backed by a lot of research, is that variations of the Mediterranean diet are best. All the diets ("The Zone", "South Beach", "Omega Diet", etc.) look much like the new USDA food pyramid ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyPyramid ) and the very similar Canadian government food pyramid.

It seems to me that reducing PN symptoms in a sustainable way requires a return to health, a holistic approach involving healthy diet, exercise, reducing toxins in our lives, controlling our negative emotions, and developing health affirming spiritual values and vision. In a sense, PN is a reflection of who we are and how we live. Becoming PN free requires a change in who we are and how we live.

This approach has worked pretty well for me, and others here. As I type this, I'm totally pain free (except for my cat who insists on walking on the keyboard as I type. He can be a pain ).

Last edited by Wing42; 05-05-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Wing42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote