Thread: Omega-3
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If the flaxseeds are fresh and stored in the frig...then they will supply ALA (alpha linolenic acid).

I only used a regular primrose capsule, not a big super one. You don't need alot of this one, just some.

Some foods come with flaxoil added.
eg: http://www.smartbalance.com/products...ry-spread-flax

I took the typical flax oil 1000mg capsule.
For a while we made our own salad dressings with flax oil instead of other oils --my son really liked it this way.
I also added it to smooties when we did those alot.
But in those days there were no "smart foods" on the market yet...this was way over a decade ago.

I recall reading Barlean's flaxoil website, back then and they had a link to IAMs pet foods which had just introduced Omega-3's for pets.
I switched our ill at the time, Sheba to the new Eukanuba kibble and she lived to be almost 24yrs old...she was just shy a couple of months! At that time she was eating Science Diet, which was very high in corn, like some cat foods today still are. She had sores on her face and was a mess. None of the vets could help, but when Barlean's led me to IAMs....I took that hint.
It cleared her right up, her coat became glossy and she was happy!
(my current avatar is a computer drawing/portrait of Sheba back then).
Now of course we know that the imbalance of too many Omega-6's, creates inflammation in the body, but back then it was still "research" .

Flax and fish oils are foods...not vitamins. So they are needed and consumed in higher amounts. The primrose oil, I don't think needs to be high, just some. And the GLA in primrose has been long recommended for diabetics. Borage oil is also a good source.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eveni...0-Softgels/609
One of these a day (notice the recommendation is 3 a day)
is enough for most people IMO. GLA is an omega-6, but it acts as a brake in the inflammation cycle. You don't need alot of this, or you'll need more flax to make up for it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote