View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
I have applied for three clinical trials. I have a low white blood cell count but other than PD am healthy. I take nothing but Azilect.

Since they were testing new drugs, they all turned me down.
Lab Rat,

Welcome to the NT crew. See this just gets me. I honestly think that it is now fair to question the low participation lament of the research establishment. It is beginning to seem like an excuse. What will they have to say given all the new MJFF recruits?

The very fact that the NIH will turn people away for GDNF while many other trials close speaks volumes. It says we are a bright group who choose what has the most potential to make a significant impact on our condition. It says enough with the "me too" drugs.

I remember first getting the diagnosis; I naively thought I would make an ideal research participant because my family has a history of tremor. Nope. Reject! You must have a parent diagnosed with PD!?! Ummm okay. What about auto-recessive forms of the disease?

Just serves how much we need patient based research. This might also skew Placebo Effect in us. Think about it; if a person is fortunate enough to make it into a highly competitive, desirable trial, aren't they then more likely to feel a benefit from a placebo? We can't know, but it seems plausible.

It is crazy that they can be so choosy. Isn't that selection bias?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote