Thread: Hearing a voice
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hearing a voice

Ok, so I tried to control my panic as my daughter told me she sometimes hears a voice in her head, but Im not sure how well I did. She has seizures. Most of the time they are focal seizures, in her face, arms, legs or a combo. She is aware 90% of the time. Occationaly she will have a seizure that is bigger (only one grand mal) and she isnt really aware of what happened. Anyway, since about the age of 4 (she is 7 now) she has said something strange. When my husband would tickle her or we would rub her back (not every time) she would say "it makes me feel like Im not a part of the family". We didnt understand. We tried to get her to explain but a 4 yr old can only explain so much. She has continued to use this same phrase over the past few years off and on. It was always strange but we never thought about it too much.
The other night while lying in bed, she was talking about school and started to sratch the underside of her forearm. She then started crying. I asked her her what was wrong and she said, "I feel like Im not a part of the family". It was so out of the blue so of course I started asking questions. Meanwhile she is in tears. I asked why and she looked at me and said (with a definate pause) "because the voice told me that". Freaking out insued (only on the inside). I asked her if she'd heard the voice before. She said yes. She explained that sometimes she gets a tingley feeling in her arm and when she scratches it she hears the voice. She told me its not her voice. It a slow talking male voice. (she did the impression) It makes her feel very sad. She knows the voice isnt real and its never said anything else. The kicker is that she says she can make it happen too.
I know there are such things as auditory seizures. I was leaning towards that however I dont know if you can MAKE them happen. I dont know if its been happening so long its a conditioned response to her scratching her arm (its the only part of her body that triggers it). I looked up Schitophrenia (sp?) and other than the voices she doesnt have any other symptoms. Im just at a loss and honestly freaking out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!!!
concernedmom2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote