View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Proximate vs. Distal

Fact: the wrist is more 'distal' (distant) from the core than your elbow. Your elbow is more 'proximate' (closer) to your core (center) than your wrist. The solar plexus/spine is your center.

I need to let my body do more 'proximate' work, using muscles/joints that are closer to the body. Use the large muscles whenever possible (glutes, stomach, back, thighs). Allow my spine to flex in a smaller, but more powerful way, as all other body parts are affected by it's slightest movement. Notice how while sitting, when I flex my spine from side to side (only a centemeter or so) by shifting the weight on my 'butt bones', it causes the rib cage to flex like a fan? The rib cage is not a rigid cage. It needs to flex to absorb shock from external pressures (like walking). Become more aware of how using my arms away from my body may cause a flare and how using the larger muscles whenever possible may limit my flares. I may need to change my center of gravity to acomplish a task to use more of the core muscles.

(NOTE: if you have RSD, this is NOT for you)
Icing: Use styrofoam cups filled with frozen water to back down a potential flare. When I am uncertain if a flare is coming on, I can try this. Peel some of the styrofoam away from the ice and rub the ice directly on the skin in a circular motion - briefly. Mop up any water with a towel - don't allow it to drip all over me. Repeat. If this does not back the flare down to a manageable level - start medicating!

Don't react. Don't allow the world to impact you. You should choose when and how to impact the world. This is why Carolyn does not turn her phone off durring a session and allows normal household noises to be heard. It trains the patient to not 'react' when a phone rings or a hammer bangs upstairs. It's a time to learn to tune out things that can interrupt my concentration or relaxation. It's those fast moves, the 'leaping up to get ___.' that will get me in trouble every time.

When I move (ex: getting out of a chair), my skeleton should move FIRST. Muscles are there only to assist the skeleton. If I can focus on this my muscles will have to do far less work.

-------------
Shelly, I also am interested in your comments. Hope better days are in your very near future!

Feldenkrais massage and manipulation is so gentle, I LOVE IT! The practitioner moves your arm, not the patient. It's a little slice of Heaven feeling my arms move as they are supposed to - without the pain of ME having to do the work. It's like ... muscle movement without nerve pain! No stretching, no pulling, just gentle movement. Bliss...

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote