View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Update: (and a question)

Hey Bryanna!

I went to my dentist yesterday for my sheduled 6 month cleaning which came up by coincidence. (This was my regular dentist, not the Oral Surgeon who took out the wisdom tooth 3 weeks ago. I am scheduled for a follow up with the Surgeon in 1 more week.)

After the cleaning was done by his assisitant he came in to look at things. He said he was surprised at how much of the root was exposed below the "Crown" and "Neck" of this molar next to the socket. He said this exposure was the reason for the sudden sensitivity pain in that molar. I asked him if he thought normal bone or tissue would eventually grow to cover this newly exposed part of the root and he said "no, I dont think so." The socket is still open and I am keeping it clean, but the way the tissue is closing it doesnt appear to be growing towards the exposed root this molar. It looks more like to socket is collasping in on itself and slowly closing.

This is a bummer. I think this means once the socket fully closes my root will still be left exposed on this molar next to the extraction site. The sensitivity hasnt gotten any better either, infact I feel its gotten worse.

When I see the Oral Surgeon next week, Im going to ask about a tissue graft to cover the root. He had mentioned something about it before, and I'm worried it might be the only way to correct this sensitivity. But if thats the way to fix it than I want it done, the sooner all of this is over the better. Also I'm not too keen on my root being exposed forever if I do not get a tissue graft. That cant be good for the long term health of the tooth.

Also, I wanted to ask...... is it normal to still be experience tender pain when chewing with that tooth after 3 weeks? This "tender pain" is seperate from the sensitivity pain to hot/cold but is affecting the same molar. This pain only occurs when pressure is applied ontop of that tooth while chewing.

There is no pain when my mouth is at rest.

The sensitivity pain is an 8-of-10 when hot/cold touches that root. And the tender pain is a 3-of-10 when chewing. All of my other teeth, gums, and tongue feel fine. So it's just the one tooth that still hurts me.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice, gosh I just wish this was over

-Kevin
Kevdood83 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote